I’ve tried quite a few grain free tortilla/wrap/crepe recipes, which have given me a good lesson in how to develop my own. This one is great tasting and holds up when trying to eat as a wrap with your hands, but also works just fine with fork and knife. The recipe can be tailored for sweet or savory dishes by making any kind of tweaks you’d like, whether that would be to add vanilla extract, stevia, chives or some minced herbs into the batter.
Basic Crepe Recipe:
Makes 1, 9-inch round crepe
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- 2 TB Arrowroot Powder (Tapioca Flour ok too)
- 1/2 TB Coconut Flour
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- Dash of Sea Salt
For the Pan:
- 1 tsp-1/2 TB Butter
- For sweet: 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract; 1-3 Drops of Liquid Stevia; 1 tsp honey or maple syrup, other extracts (lemon, almond, orange, etc)
- For savory: 1-2 TB minced fresh herbs (eg cilantro, parsley, basil); or 1 tsp dried herbs (any you may choose)
- Heat a 10-inch pan on low-medium heat.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Include any optional wet ingredients you desire.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, blend well. Include any optional ingredients.
- Melt the butter on the pre-warmed pan.
- Pour the batter on the buttered pan.
- Let it cook until the edges appear dry. Typically less than a minute.
- Flip the crepe to cook the opposite side. This will take under 30 sec. **Note: Due to the delicate nature of the crepe, based on the size and thin-ness, I typically use two spatulas to flip it without tearing it.
A sweet (not too sweet) application I tried is pictured below. For those noticing, I am aware it’s not strict paleo – I used goat cheese – please omit for dairy-free.
For this crepe: I added vanilla and cinnamon to the batter. I put my favorite Aidell’s chicken spicy mango jalapeño sausage inside with the goat cheese spread (a touch of honey, a splash of lemon juice and a pinch of lemon zest – stirred up), fresh strawberry and banana slices. The final touch was a sprinkle of cardamom on top; a favorite of mine.
Here is a savory sample: It’s another not strictly Paleo version, due to added organic shredded pepper jack cheese (melted 1/4 c directly on the crepe in the pan after flipping it to the opposite side).
The batter had fresh cilantro added in. The crepe was filled with the aforementioned pepper jack cheese, leftover enchilada chicken breast, red onion, lettuce, tomato and avocado slices.