This recipe has been inspired by another one, so I am giving credit where it is due to Laura Epps’ Paleo in Comparison for my inspiration. I made a few tweaks based on my ingredients and taste preferences. It’s a deliciously moist cake; yum! Here is the original recipe: Coconut Lime Mug Cake.
Not a usual thing for me, but I had this for lunch the other day with some veggies (Carrot sticks and Cauliflower hummus). I was craving carbs and found this recipe, which is compliant with my current sugar detox plan. It includes real food ingredients, feels like decadence, yet isn’t an insane splurge, so it was perfect!
A final note before we dive into the recipe. This is definitely for lemon lovers and health food lovers (and what that means in this context is: people who can love things that “taste healthy” aka don’t take like dessert or like what you may expect). It is not a particularly sweet cake. Here is an example: I’ve had it several times and my boyfriend has tried it each time and hates it. Lol. He hates lemon desserts and just finds this cake in no way appealing. I, on the other hand, love it. I find it filling, satisfying and not super sweet. I guess that’s why it fit for me as an, admittedly odd, meal centerpiece when I had it for the first time. Ok, that seems like fair warning. Here is my version of the mug cake:
Lemon Mug Cake
Prep Time: 10 min or less
Cook Time: 2-3 min
- 1 Banana, mashed
- 1 Egg
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon (Meyer Lemon is the best, if available)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-4 drops Stevia liquid, to taste, optional
- 1 TB full fat Coconut Milk
- 1.5 TB Coconut Flour
- 2 TB unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 TB Coconut Cream (aka coconut butter or coconut manna)
- 1/2 TB Coconut Oil
- optional add ins: splash of lemon juice, vanilla or almond extract
- Mash the banana in a large microwave safe mug.
- Mix in the wet ingredients: egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, coconut milk, Stevia.
- Stir in the dry ingredients: coconut flour, shredded coconut and baking powder.
- Microwave cake 2 – 2:30 minutes.
- For the topping to melt and be spread easily on the cake, microwave for 10 sec.