Thanks to my friend Marian, this simply delicious salad has become a staple in my home. It is a great vegetable side that can accompany any meal. Delicious on the first day and also keeps well in the refrigerator for at least a week. In my family of two, it’s a highly regarded dish that is typically gone within a few days. I can pretty much guarantee that you will feel the same way about this amazing salad.
Family Meal size, serves at least 6 people:
Yield: about 6 c
Prep Time: 15-20 min from scratch (takes me a lot of time to shred the cabbage)
- 1/2 Red Cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 2 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
Single serve option: (takes 5-10 min to prep)
- 1c. Red Cabbage, shredded
- 2 TB Red Onion, chopped or thin sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-1.5 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine the cabbage, onion, garlic and oil and mix well to coat the salad in the oil.
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and toss again to serve.
Serve this beside ANY meal. The flavor is so great and it’s almost sinfully simple!
Some of my favorite meals with this salad:
Two eggs over easy, bacon, and 1/2 c sweet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes with some butter, salt and pepper for flavor and cooking.
Grass fed beef burger, avocado and salsa.
Sardines or tuna.
With a protein of choice (chicken, taco meat, sausage, eggs, etc) stuffed into a tortilla (try my Crepes for this savory application).